4.2.5. EMMA (Multinational Companies for the Provision of Services Related to Manufacturing)
- Special regime created for the establishment of logistics centers for light manufacturing and repackaging in Panama.
- Like the SEM regime, they would benefit legal security and immigration, labor and tax benefits that promote the production of products and services for export and for internal commercial use.
- Under this new comprehensive law, the companies that currently operate under the SEM license will be able to apply for a manufacturing services license through an expedited process.
- During the first 5 years, total exemption from Income Tax and later a rate of 5%.
- Exemption from import duties on materials and equipment.
- Foreign executives holding an EMMA Visa will not count on the local maximum allowances for foreign staff.
- 5-year visa for EMMA executives.
- 3-year visa for EMMA technicians.
- One-stop scheme for the visa issuance of EMMA workers and their dependents.
- Permanent Personnel Visa (for a term of 5 years, extendable).
- Operative Personnel Visa (for a term of 2 years, extendable).
- Operative Personnel Dependent Visa (equals the Operative Personnel Visa).
- Definitive residence (once the 5-year term has elapsed).
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE EMMA LICENSE
- Demonstrate the assets of the multinational company.
- The industrial commercial activities and operations carried out by the multinational company.
- The listing of shares in the local or international stock market.
The companies holding a Multinational Company License for the Provision of Services Related to Manufacturing, in addition to the established requirements, must carry out the activities that generate the income subject to the tax regime provided for in the Law.